Update Regarding COVID-19:
During the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the Helmerich Center for American Research is following the University of Tulsa’s campus health policies and social distancing recommendations from the Center for Disease Control (CDC). The Helmerich Center is now open to researchers by appointment only and with pre-approval required by our Head Archivist and Librarian, Renee Harvey. We will continue to monitor public health updates from the City of Tulsa, TU, and the CDC.
While research visits are by appointment only, we will try to fulfill requests for digital access to collections through the use of reproductions, copies, scans, or the Gilcrease Museum collections online website to support your research, teaching, and learning needs. Please be aware that there may be delays in processing and there is the possibility that a request cannot be fulfilled during this unprecedented time and we appreciate your patience and understanding in advance.
We encourage you to explore Gilcrease Museum’s Online Collections and our Archive/Library Collections Page
If you have a request for digital access or have inquiries about an in-person appointment, please contact Renee Harvey at firstname.lastname@example.org or 918-631-6441.
Gilcrease Staff and TU Faculty and Students should read the following guidelines for requesting in-person research appointments:
- Research by appointment only for staff, faculty and students.
- One week’s notice is needed to schedule (Renee Harvey email@example.com or 918-631-6441).
- Our main entrance is now closed to visitors. Researchers with appointments should enter the Helmerich Center through the east-side entrance near the Sequoyah statue.
- A maximum of 4 researchers are allowed in the reading room at any given time to allow for maximum safety of staff and visitors. Masks are required for all and staff office doors will be closed..
- Materials to be pulled must be requested in advance.
- Materials will be placed on a designated table prior to the beginning of the appointment and the materials will remain on the table for the duration of the appointment.
- Cell phone or camera images (no flash) are encouraged to best utilize time spent in the Reading Room. Photograph policy on Research Request Form.
- No walk-in appointments will be allowed.
- Hand sanitizers should be utilized upon entry/re-entry into the Reading Room
- Masks are always required and should not be removed for conversation or other purposes.
- If a researcher cannot wear a mask, an appointment cannot be scheduled. Reproductions will be substituted in accordance with ADA and ALA policy regarding reasonable accommodations.
- All purses and backpacks will be placed in the lockers. Our guest reception staff member will use locker key to open the locker for researchers. Detailed on Research Request Form.
- All paper and pencils used by the researcher will remain with the researcher and they can determine whether to keep or discard at the end of the appointment.
- If the researcher anticipates use of any additional tools such as a magnifier or other aids, they should be requested in advance.
- During breaks, we encourage researchers to explore the Gilcrease Museum grounds during their visit.